Dynamic Storage Pool Migration
|Sign Up||Gain access to the destination environment.|
|Create an API User||Authenticate yourself for the migration.|
|Initiate the Migration Request||Connect your current storage environment to DCS+.|
|Import you Data||Move your data from DCS Classic to DCS+.|
|Deactivate the Migration||Detach the environments from each other.|
|Delete unused Resources||Remove unnecessary workload to avoid being billed for them.|
DCS+: Sign Up
Note: You will receive a contract number (PRO-XXXXXXXX) for your new DCS+ environment. Usually, this will be the same number as for your regular DCS Classic service. Going forward, this contract number will also be referred to as "Business Group".
DCS Classic: Create an API User
This user is required for authentication purposes and for moving the servers to the new environment. If you already have an API user, skip to point 5.
- Navigate to the DCS Classic portal
Under "Dynamic Data Centers", click on "vCloud Director API"
If the list is empty, click on "Create new API user" on the bottom right.
Fill in the form and click "Submit Order". You can choose any username you like. This will create a service request, which may take a few minutes to complete.
Back on the overview screen, take note of the vOrg name and the login credentials of your API user. They will be required in an upcoming step.
Note: The API user is only visible if you have at least one Dynamic Data Center. If you only have dynamic storage or dynamic servers, please create a DDC by clicking on "Create new Data Center" on the main page (select Resource Allocation Model Type "Pay as you Go"). This action will not incur any charges.
DCS+: Initiate the Migration Request
- Select the "Catalog" ribbon in the top navigation menu.
- On the left-hand side, click on "Service Requests".
- Choose the DCS+ target Business Group, where you would like to migrate your data to. For this, simply click on the "Business Groups" field and select the appropriate contract number (PRO-XXXXXXXX) from the drop-down menu.
Click the "Migration" field.
Read the description & accept the terms by clicking on "Request".
Fill in the contract & user credentials
- Contract ID: This is the contract of the destination business group in DCS+ (PRO Number) – it should already be selected automatically, no change is needed here.
- vOrg Name: The name of the virtual organization of the source platform (DCS Classic) that needs to be migrated. You can find this in the API user screen in DCS Classic.
- API Username: The username of the API user – see chapter above.
API Password: The password used for the API user above.
Note: The login credentials are necessary to validate your access authorization to this vOrg. It will not be used further by Swisscom afterwards.
If the credentials are accepted, you can click the Request button on the bottom right. This will allow you to move your data to DCS+.
Note: This process may take several minutes to complete, depending on the amount of data.
DCS+: Import you Data
Finally, you can start the migration of the data pools.
- Go to the DCS+ frontpage, and click on the "My Items" ribbon on the top.
- Select "Migration" from the left -hand menu. This list shows all vOrgs in DCS Classic, which have been activated for migration in the first step.
Locate the source vOrg that hosts your data pools and click on the "Actions" drop-down menu to the right.
Select "Import Dynamic Storage Pools" from the drop down.
The pop-up window will be blank as no further user input is required. To initiate the import, simply click on the "Import Dynamic Storage Pools" button.
Note: As a guideline, you can calculate around 5-6 minutes per 100GB of data for this process to complete.
Go to "Requests" and verify that the migration had been completed successfully.
DCS+: Deactivate the Migration
Once all your data has been migrated and your services are running, you can deactivate the migration. This will detach the connection between your environments in DCS Classic and DCS+. We recommend to do this at least 30 days after completing the last migration.
- Go to the DCS+ frontpage and click on the "My Items" ribbon on the top.
- Select "Migration" from the left -hand menu. This list shows all vOrgs, which have been activated for migration in the beginning.
Locate the vOrg you have migrated and click on the "Actions" drop-down menu to the right. Select "Deactivate Migration" from the dropdown.
DCS Classic: Delete all Resources
You data has now been moved to DCS+, it is no longer running on the DCS Classic environment. Nontheless, we recommend to verify that no other workload or services are still running on DCS Classic. This will ensure that you are not billed anymore for unused resources. It includes the deletion of any DDCs, Dynamic Servers, connectivity services, or licenses.
Tip: If you are uncertain about having deleted all billable resources, you can check the billing report of the current month to see if there are still any active items.